Saturday, May 8, 2010



Elizabeth Cramer
Memoirs from Home Series


I chose this particular piece strictly because of the aesthetic appeal of the beach scene. For the past three or four years my family and I have gone to Myrtle Beach for summer vacation and it just brought back great memories of the walk up to the beach off the boardwalk. This piece possessed all the elements of art. I think the most obvious element was the value aspect. The piece was done completely in black and white due to the fact that Elizabeth said she is still scared to use colors with her painting since she is so new to it. The value of the sky was especially aesthetically pleasing to me. The reasoning behind the work is in the title of the work. They were simply photographs she had taken from home and than put on canvas. She likes black and white because of the stark contrast in color. She also used layering techniques so that the painting has depth.




Elizabeth Cramer
Martini Diver


I chose this piece because I really liked the scene it was portraying and I thought the painting was just really impressive. Again, this piece possessed all the elemental qualities of art and again, the value stuck out to me because it was in black and white. This piece was pleasing to me for the above reasons. Elizabeth said she had a project for class where she had to find ads out of a magazine which is where she got the inspiration for this particular piece. She said it's good to use an image as a jumping off point.

These pieces were similar because of the black and white aspect and the value. They were different because one portrayed a very realistic photograph while the diver had a less nostalgic feel and was just more 'out there'.

1 comment:

  1. great pairing of work to compare and contrast. you are right, she handled the element of value very well.
    -evelyn davis, professor

    ReplyDelete